Monday, January 26, 2015

Reflections from Ofek


When I was little, my stepdad would tell me stories about his time on kibbutz. He would tell me about rising with the sun to work in the fields or in the reffet with the cows. I grew up with this image of labour that was romantic and beautiful. As I grew up and started going to machaneh, I began learning about the chalutzim. I began to gain more of an understanding of what it meant to say that this movement was progressive labour Zionist. When I was preparing for workshop, I would never have pictured doing something like working in the mataim. I got excited for avodah on Ein dor only to realize that avodah meant waking up at 8:30 to fold laundry, not that it wasn't a good experience. So when I heard that this was one of the options for ofek I felt excited. I was finally going to understand the stories from my childhood and hopefully connect to the movement in new ways. It has definitely lived up to my expectations. From this experience I've gained a new sense of what it means to whipe sweat from your brow after a hard day work. But it's also been about the end of the day, when we are all hanging out together. That has been so extremely special to me. I hope this program will be continued for future workshops. I believe everyone finds a different way of connecting and each of the ways are important and valuable lessons for life. I can't wait to share this with my parents, my chanichim, and my kvutzah.

-Maya Asulin, Kibbutz Ravid Ofek Track




No comments:

Post a Comment